Drew Walking Tall is a fundraising effort headed by Nathan and Janel Gatten to raise funds for medical and Travel expenses for Drew while we visit a world-renowned surgeon in West Palm Beach Florida for reconstructive surgeries for Drew on May 3rd and September 27th.
Drew has external rotation in his upper leg extremities and internal rotation below his knees. Since he’s been about eight months, Drew has done what I call the “booty scoot.” It’s an absolutely adorable maneuver where he combines hopping on his bum and raking with his right leg. As endearing as this is, it’s not a permanent solution. We’ve seen many orthopaedic specialists from Boston to Missouri to Tennessee, but it was a doctor in Florida that has the most experience with TAR Syndrome and congenital abnormalities. He has extensive knowledge and leadership in these types of reconstructive surgeries that has helped hundreds of children with previously grim potential for walking to get up on their own two feet and walk.
In about six months, we will travel to West Palm Beach, Florida for Drew’s first surgeries to correct the rotation and install an external fixation device on one of this legs. We will be required to stay in Florida for three months as we have daily physical therapy and bi-weekly visits with his surgeon. Then, we’ll return home for a short period of time only to start the process all over again for the other leg.
We have great insurance, but we will be responsible for 15-20% of all of the medical bills. In addition, there is living expenses for food, room, and other similar necessities. Luckily, I have been lucky to be part of a very helpful charity through a local bank to reimburse travel expenses for mileage, food, and room and board. However, this does not cover medical expenses. So, I’m organizing and hosting a variety of fundraising events to raise funds for some of these expenses. And, because this charity has been so greatly appreciated, I’m going to donate a portion of everything I earn through Drew Walking Tall back to this charity so other families with similar travel necessities in Union County can continue to benefit from this generous fund.
I will be updating this page with events and locations where donations can be made.
How can you help now?
- On May 19th, we hosted a Walking the Walk for Drew 5K and 1-mile fun run/walk at the Sturgis Airport. We had a great turnout. A total of about 127 runners showed up and we raised $5,160! Thank you to the Sturgis Airport, MHUC, Terry Rodgers, World Finance, all of my DWT volunteers, and the runners and walkers for coming to support Drew!
- Thank you to Laura Overfield for dedicating a portion of her 31 sales during the month of April for Drew Walking Tall. A total of $200 was donated to Drew Walking Tall as well as $200 worth of great products that were used as prizes at the 5K!
- Get ready for some blues, classic rock and jazz! Drew Walking Tall Music Fest featuring Dylan Barnes, HiRize Hillbillies, Doc Niehaus and Ryan Rigdon, Three Shades of Grey, Blind-Dog Gatewood, and The Iron Monkee Band on August 25th at the Renaissance Center in Morganfield from 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. T-shirts and food for sale. Will be collecting donations for Drew Walking Tall (we are halfway there!) Please come and enjoy the show! UPDATE: This event was a lot of fun and we raised over $700 for Drew! Thank you to all the bands and Sher Culbertson and all visitors for helping support Drew!
- Fooooooooore!! The Eagles Club will be hosting a Drew Walking Tall Golf Scramble on Saturday, July 14th at the Breckinridge County Club. Registration begins at 9:00 am and tee off at 10:00 am. $60/person gets you lunch and two complimentary golf clubs from Warrior. There will be a “longest putt” contest, “Chipping in a toilet bowel” game, and a half pot. Please join to raise money for Drew Walking Tall. For more information, you may contact Steve Utley, The Eagles Club, or the Breckinridge Country Club. Thanks for your support!
- On April 27th, the Lion’s Club hosted a magic show, with Roger Wayne and Dinky Gowen, at the Union County High School for Drew Walking Tall. They raised $750.00!
- On April 11th, The KC Hall of Morganfield will be donated all proceeds from BINGO! night to Drew Walking Tall. Doors open at 5:00 pm and BINGO! starts at 7:00 pm. So be sure to stop by! UPDATE: $600 was raised for Drew Walking Tall thanks to the Knights of Columbus.
- On March 31st, The Fraternal Order of the Eagles hosted a 9-ball pool tournament a the Eagles club with all proceeds going to Drew Walking Tall.
- The Drew Walking Tall auction will be March 25th from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Feedmill. We are featuring donated gift baskets from local businesses including a UK gift basket, a tour of golf courses, handmade wreaths, 2 1-week passes to the Union County Fair, sitting sessions with the best photographers in Union County and many more. Interested in donating a gift basket? Comment below and let us know. We’d like to have all baskets ready by March 10th. UPDATE: We made a total of $13,636 at the Drew Walking Tall auction. HUGE success! Wanna see pictures?
- In addition to the auction, we’ll also be hosting A Chocolate Affair at the auction, an unlimited tasting of decadent chocolate desserts and treats for another donation to Drew Walking Tall.
- The Union County public schools, in correlation with The Fraternal Order of Eagles Club and WMSK, are running a Penny Drive in an attempt to raise a million pennies for Drew Walking Tall! Drop your pennies off in the marked locations. UPDATE: The six public schools managed to raise $5128.68 for Drew Walking Tall. The businesses will collect money until June so lets see if we can reach that million pennies! UPDATE #2: The businesses in Morganfield collected so much money that we reached the million penny challenge! A total of $10,000 was raised thanks to The Eagles Club, Union County Public Schools and WMSK! A special shout-out to Dairy Queen and Morganfield Elementary School for collecting the most pennies!
- The Union County Advocate will be selling candy for Valentine’s Day at their office on Tuesday, February 14th with all monies going to Drew Walking Tall. Stop on by and help Drew Walking Tall! UPDATE: Thanks to the Union County Advocate for helping Drew Walking Tall raise $808!
- You can donate money with your PayPal account (any amount you choose) or just with your debit/credit card. Click the “Donate” button below.
- Please visit my Drew Walking Tall Facebook page and “Like” the page to see updates and information about these events. Please also share the page with your friends!
- Shirts no longer for sale. 😦 I have attractive shirts for sale! $10/tshirt. Email me at Kyjanel@hotmail.com or comment on this blog (leave me your email address) if you would like a Tshirt. (Comments have to be moderated before they show up so don’t be surprised if you don’t see your comment right away.)
- Look for donation jars at Danhauers, United Community Bank, Morganfield Home Center, Old National Bank, Frenchs, B&H, Deb and Jens, the liquor store, Verlies, The Feedmill, and Ryan Phillip’s tax office in Morganfield, Kentucky and leave me some spare change. Donation jars to be available in Alabama and Charlotte, NC soon!
- I need volunteers! Ten Volunteers for each event get free Tshirts with the Drew Walking Tall logo!
- You may also make donations directly to Drew Walking Tall by visiting Old National Bank and depositing a donation in any amount to the Drew Walking Tall account of Nathan and Janel Gatten.
- I’m currently looking for product donations from businesses or individuals. One of the events I will be hosting is an online and community auction and need some fabulous items to auction off. Visit local businesses, share my story and see if they have any items they’d like to donate such as a gift certificate (only local restaurants and businesses please), picture frame, toy, etc. Any size will due, but I do need some big ticket items to really get people excited!
Thank you so much for your thoughts and support. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!